Simplified Chinese | Traditional Chinese | French | Punjabi | Spanish | Vietnamese

Find out how to:

Key Contacts

In case of emergency, call 911 or look for the emergency police number inside the front cover of your local telephone book. For all other calls, use the non-emergency police number, also located inside the front cover of your local telephone book.

VictimLink BC
Call VictimLink BC to find out about local victim services, or to check that your peace bond or restraining order is registered in the Protection Order Registry. Call toll-free, 1-800-563-0808, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This line is multilingual.

HealthLink BC
Simply dial 8-1-1 toll free from anywhere in BC, 24 hours every day, seven days a week. Deaf or hearing impaired dial 7-1-1. Translation services available in over 130 languages.

Helpline for Children
Call 310-1234 (no area code required), 24 hours every day. To use the TTD (Telephone Device for the Deaf), call 1-866-660-0505.

Youth Against Violence Line
Call toll free in BC at 1-800-680-4264, 24 hours every day. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call Information Services Vancouver TTY service at 604-875-0885; if calling from outside the Lower Mainland, call collect.

Parole Board of Canada - Pacific Region
The Parole Board of Canada (PBC)has exclusive authority to grant, deny, cancel, terminate or revoke day parole and full parole for federal offenders.
1923 McCallum Road, 2nd Floor
Abbotsford BC V2S 3N2
Ph. (604) 870-2468 in Vancouver or toll-free in Canada at 1-866-789-4636 from elsewhere in BC
Fax. (604) 870-2498

Correctional Service of Canada
The Correctional Service of Canada (CSC), as part of the criminal justice system and respecting the rule of law, contributes to public safety by actively encouraging and assisting offenders to become law-abiding citizens, while exercising reasonable, safe, secure and humane control. The CSC Pacific Region can be reached at (604) 870-2501.

Victims Information Line (National Parole Board)
If you have a speech or hearing impairment:
To contact police, VictimLink BC or any other agency listed here, call the 24-hour Telus Message Relay Centre.
TTY/VCO telephone: 711
Regular telephone, toll-free: 1-800-855-0511

BC Seniors' Line
A free telephone line providing a one-stop source of information for government services.
1 800 465-4911
or 250 952-1742 in Victoria

Legal Aid
Free legal aid services are available to eligible low-income applicants. Look for the number of the nearest legal aid office in the white pages of your local phone book under “Legal aid,” or call the Legal Services Society Call Centre at (604) 408-2172 (in the Lower Mainland) or 1-866-577-2525 (toll free, outside the Lower Mainland).

Family Justice Counsellors
Family Justice Counsellors are located at Family Justice Centres throughout the province. They can provide you with information about the Provincial Court process and family law issues, including child custody, access and support, as well as referrals to other community resources. Their services are provided at no cost, but priority is given to people of modest means. Call Enquiry British Columbia and ask the operator to transfer you to the Family Justice Centre nearest you:
Greater Victoria: 250-387-6121
Greater Vancouver: 604-660-2421
Elsewhere in British Columbia: 1-800-663-7867

Lawyer Referral Service
The Lawyer Referral Service will give you the name of a lawyer in your community who can provide you with a 30-minute consultation for $25.00, and further legal help as needed for a fee.
Lower Mainland: 604-687-3221
Elsewhere in British Columbia: 1-800-663-1919

QMUNITY improves queer and trans lives through services, connection, and leadership. The QMUNITY building provides a safe space for LGBTQQ2S (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, questioning and two-spirit) people and their allies to fully self-express while feeling welcome and included. It serves as a catalyzer for community initiatives and collective strength. It’s not only a physical space but also a space created by the coming together of LGBTQ individuals searching for community.
We offer: information and referrals; diversity training and consulting services; all ages events and drop-in programming; counselling and social support groups; volunteer and practicum opportunities; community meeting space.
Call: 604-684-5307
Mailing address: 1170 Bute Street
Vancouver BC V6E 1Z6

Other Resources

Community Advocates
An advocate can be anyone in your community whom you trust and who is willing to help you deal with the police or the court system. An advocate can be a victim services worker, a friend or relative, a volunteer or staff member at your local women’s centre or transition house, or someone from a multicultural or aboriginal service agency. If you would like an advocate but cannot find one in your community, call VictimLink BC (see above). They will help you find an advocate, or refer you to other community agencies if you need them.

Family Duty Counsel
In many provincial courthouses there are family duty counsel (lawyers) who assist people with family law problems. You may be eligible for help from family duty counsel even if you do not qualify for legal aid. If you do not have your own lawyer and you qualify financially, duty counsel can give you advice and attend court with you on some matters, including getting an emergency restraining order. If you do not qualify financially, duty counsel may still be able to help you. For the location and hours of duty counsel offices, call your local legal aid office (see above) or your local court registry. To find your local court registry, look in the blue pages of your phone book under “Government of British Columbia — Court Services.”

British Columbia Society for Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse
A non-profit society, established to provide therapeutic services for males who have been sexually abused. The Society’s purpose is to provide treatment and support services; acquire and develop educational material concerning sexual abuse of males; assist in establishing new agencies within British Columbia; ensure clear, consistent communication; and consult with community and government groups in the areas of prevention, treatment, therapy, and other matters relating to sexual abuse of males.

Police Based Victims Services Programs
There are 92 police based Victim Services programs operating out of BC's RCMP and municipal police departments. In these programs, staff, sometimes supported by highly trained, security cleared volunteers from their community, work directly with police to provide emotional support, information and referrals to victims of all kinds of crime and trauma.

Return to Top of Page